In a message dated 2/19/2004 11:25:29 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Having grown up in a
fundamentalist church, though I no longer follow it at all, I am amazed
at the disconnection from Jesus's commitment to the poor, to the
outcast, to a vision not only other than money but even critiqueing
money.

I believe that Jesus allegedly said, "Give what belongs to God to God and what belongs to Caesar to Caesar," and, of course he was holding a coin at the time and was responding to someone asking him about paying taxes.  This would seem to suggest that he understood the necessity for a government and an economy, even while championing the poor and the sick, etc.