In a message dated 2/6/04 7:58:12 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
In "Preludes" Eliot mentioned smells of steaks in passage ways.
One of my students wanted to know how people living in such
meagre circumstances could afford steak. I didn't have an answer
for her that I could really believe in.
I know that Rick is a veggie, but in my opinion, steak is the perfect food.  It is very tasty. With a fresh vegetable and salad, it makes for an extremely healthy meal and in this day and age where most women work, it is a fast, easy dinner to do.  I have no idea of what steak cost in Eliot's time, but I'm sure most people could afford at least the lesser cuts of it.  It wasn't that long ago; he modern "cow" farm was already in existence.