I'm curious: how did this work before 1949?  Were some people subjects and other citizens, or was everyone but the monarch (and perhaps immediate family) subjects?  Or did it vary geographically, or on some other basis?  Don't know much about this, and I've wondered periodically without ever bothering to look it up.

Tom K