----- Original Message -----
From: "Rickard A Parker" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 04, 2004 5:58 PM
Subject: Re: "The Roaring Girl"

> Peter Montgomery wrote:
> >
> > Might have been an apt description of his wife.
>

> The Eliot quotation that I sent in to append to Will's submittal was
> pulled from my local version of my TWL website (to be uploaded
> someday.)  I was wondering whether to attach it as commentary to some
> line in Part II because, like you Peter, I too thought of Vivienne.
> I decided to attach it to the "Datta" part of Part V because of the
> similarity between TSE's "My friend, blood shaking my heart" and
> Middleton's "I that am of your blood was taken from you / For your
> better health;"  (it makes better sense if you look at Eliot's drafts
> and think of the loss of his "brother.")
>

> BTW, Eliot, in his introduction to "Nightwood" by Djuna Barnes,
> seemed to be quite taken by the character of
> "Dr. Matthew-Mighty-grain-of-salt-Dante-O'Conner," who, like Moll
> Cutpurse, was a cross-dresser.  Anyone care to stir things up
> further?
>
> Regards,
>     Rick Parker

I'm going to give this a go.

At least one critic has alleged that Eliot's fascination with Dr. O'Connor
was because of his own closeted nature. I'm not too sure about this.

I think O'Connor is closely related to Tiresias in TWL: he is consulted by
all, he makes pronouncements, and he interprets other characters' lives
(Nora Flood's, specifically) as a seer might. He foresees all, but he is
trapped in a sordid world.

O'Connor is also wracked by guilt / shame and anger about his condition
(more than a cross-dresser, O'Connor is of the "third sex").
Best,
Jacque