Let me reemphasize. Fundamentalism (in all its many forms) is dangerous
and needs to be resisted. And such beliefs often create more anguish for
their adherents than aid, however artificial. (I am thinking of a deeply
depressed woman I know, shat on by both her daughter and her husband,
who in nearly the same breath can say that she couldn't stand it without
prayer _and_ that she can't understand why god is doing this to her.
(Not exact quotes, but that is the rough content.) When you are really
being dumped on atheism is rather more comforting than belief.

But all social movements are complex, & as various people have observed
over the millenia, it is advisable to Know Your Enemy. Such knowledge is
not achieved by snap formulations.

Carrol