Dear Sara,

According to Southam, when the poem was first published as a separate
poem, the title was "Perch'io Non Spero."

Pound wrote an introduction to Cavalcani Poems in 1912, and Eliot may
have first seen it there.

Southam is always a useful first place to look for such info.
Best,
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/21/04 5:06 PM >>>
Today I was leafing through an anthology of thirteenth-century Italian
poetry, and I found this poem by Guido Cavalcanti, that began "Perch'io
non
spero di tornar giammai". It instantly reminded me of "Because I do not
hope
to turn again" in Ash Wednesday... I really don't know whether Eliot got
it
from Cavalcanti, but I assume he did, since there line is identical.
Anyway -- have any articles been written about Eliot and Dolce Stil
Novo? (I
mean, beside Dante's poetry)
Thanks --
Best wishes,