Do you not think Eliot rather publicly chose to be two people--poet and
critic?
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/20/04 9:10 AM >>>
Rick,

Well, TWL notes are an attempt to direct something, but they may be as
good
an argument against notes as for. TWL notes may be an indicator that TWL
is
Eliot's Hamlet. My point is that the poem IS the help, and it is unfair
expect Eliot to think the way he must to make poetry and then the way we
should to interpret poetry. It is like asking him to be two people, and
it
really subverts everyone's legitimate standing in relation to the
poetry,
his and ours as well as the poetry itself.

Ken