In a message dated 2/19/2004 11:25:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  Having grown up in a
> fundamentalist church, though I no longer follow it at all, I am amazed
> at the disconnection from Jesus's commitment to the poor, to the
> outcast, to a vision not only other than money but even critiqueing
> money.

I believe that Jesus allegedly said, "Give what belongs to God to God and
what belongs to Caesar to Caesar," and, of course he was holding a coin at the
time and was responding to someone asking him about paying taxes.  This would
seem to suggest that he understood the necessity for a government and an
economy, even while championing the poor and the sick, etc.