There's a great line, "Don't be humble; you're not that good."  I had no
intention of aiming to be humble. (There is an astonishing arrogance in
humility.)  Intellectual positions are not based on either mere opinion
or personal, as opposed to seriously self-examining, intellectual self
analysis.  I have no problem at all saying Bush is selective in what he
thinks important about Christianity:  he seems not to address the
difficulty of the rich entering heaven or the need to care for the least
among us or a great many other values attributed to Jesus.  Do you want
examples?
Try the Sermon on the Mount.

My "authority" is his actual policies.   My "opinion" is a commentary on
calling them "Christian" when I do not see any relation between them and
anything I consider fine in Christianity.

Do I call Bush's faith into question?  Absolutely.  Does that mean I
think he doesn't believe it? No.  It means he does not have policies
that seem to have anything to do with what Jesus taught.  And do I
really care if any of the candidates has faith--NO.  Frankly, I don't
give a damn if they are Christian, Jew, Muslim, Agnostic or Atheist:  I
care what they do.  Labels, especially self-pronounced, mean nothing.  I
do care about policies that hurt masses of people that are touted as
"Christian."

And WHY, for god's sake, does this have to get redirected at me instead
of my ideas?  Is it NEVER possible to have a discussion about ideas that
does not shift to the person?  If you disagree, show me how he
implements Christian values and please leave my character and
personality out of it.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/19/04 2:28 PM >>>
Nancy

Nancy wrote

"I think Bush's Christianity is highly selective."

I want to think that you don't really intend to call another's faith
into
question.  But, if you do upon what authority do you base your unhumble
opinion.  Have you received some revelation of the "true" Christianity?

What does your revelation tell you of  the faith of John Kerry?  Teddy
Kennedy?  John Dean?  The Reverend Jackson?  Bill Clinton?  Hillary
Clinton?

Can a person whose avowed church is adamantly opposed to abortion, be a
faithful member of that church while also being an advocate for
abortion.

Is there such a thing as a "Congregationalist Roman Catholic" where a
communicant can select which articles of faith are valid?  Teddy Kennedy
might find such a faith convenient.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh,NM