From: <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: steak

> Even poorer neighborhoods (assuming that's the relevant environment), now
and, to my knowledge, then, would have both: (i) some number of people who
cook steak at home on any given night; and (ii) restaurants, or at least
pubs, where steak would be cooked for some percentage of the customers.  The
question of whether it suggests an incongruous affluance seems worth
pursuing, however (though I personally doubt it will survive scrutiny): if
socio-economic research suggets there is an incongruity there, more likely
than not Eliot intended it, I would think, since he lived and rambled in
those times and would not likely import an incongruity without reason.