Dear Listers,
I don't know whether you already know about the uproar that has been raised
by the new laws on university and the regulation of agreements for research
fellows. Anyway, here's a link for you:
http://www.repubblica.it/2003/e/gallerie/cronaca/bloccosap/2.html
It's a gallery (from newspaper 'La Repubblica') of 11 pictures taken during
the big demonstration at University 'La Sapienza' (Rome), supported by
students, PhD candidates, research fellows and professors (who have been on
strike for a while). 'La Sapienza' is the biggest university in Italy and
also in Europe.
Indeed, I was not able to take part in it, due to travel expenses. But I
admire those people fighting against precarious agreements and poor salaries
for research fellows. The problem is -- (in short) there have been approved
some laws trying to make the Italian university system work as the US
system, with the *slight* difference that we do not have any of the huge
private funding which US universities do have. Thus, that would only destroy
the Italian system and force Italian brains to flee abroad for serious
research.
Sorry for the long OT post.
Best wishes,
Sara