Sara

I thought there was something "visionary" in "A Visiting Card" as a
translation of "Carta da Vista".   The title "A Visting Card" was the title
supplied by the only translator that I know, John Drummond.

"Carta da Vista" was written in in Italian in 1942.  The following is the
publishing data as supplied by Gallup on page 66 of his Pound bibliography;

CARTA DA VISTA ! DI ! EZRA POUND ! [ideogram] ! 1941-xxi ! EDIZIONI DI
LETTERE D'OGGI  [Giambattista Vicari]      (I used exclamation marks to
indicate Gallup's neutral vertical marks, caps are Gallup's, "ideogram" is
in italics)  Some further data provided by Gallup in Italian; "Questo
libro....e sato stampato in Roma il I. dicembre 1942-XXI presso L'Istituto
Grafico Tiberino...Di questo volume vengono stapate 1000 copie in tiratura
ordinaria piu 150 copie in tiratura speciale numerale da I a 150.  (please
forgive the lack of special marks)

Gallup remarks that 1150 copies were published in December 1942 but that
none of the 150 special copies have ever been found.

In his remarks concerning the first unpublished English edition Gallup
states that the original English title was "Money Pamphlets"  This edition
was destroyed but for 5 copies in a fire at the publisher's

I do not know that Pound ever worked with Spanish, though, given a
dictionary and time I'm sure that he would have felt fully capable of
rendering Octavio Paz's poems of India, "A Tale of Two Gardens" into English
for Paz and insisting that he Pound got it right. :>)

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM