Dear Listers,
I have some problems with Eliot's syntactic constructions in his Hamlet
essay:
"Qua work of art, the work of art cannot be interpreted; there is nothing to
interpret; we can only criticize it according to standards, in comparison to
other works of art; and for 'interpretation' the chief task is the
presentation  of relevant historical facts which the reader is not assumed
to know."

Now then -- I have understood the theorical meaning altogether. But who is
that WE who can only criticize? Is it Eliot or the critics in general? And
that reader, who is he supposed to represent? The average reader who can
only criticise and not interpret? So, who is to interpret literary works --
only such critics as Mr Robertson? Yet, weren't critics supposed to
'criticise' a work of art?
It's just a matter of syntax which I cannot solve. Can anyone help?
Thanks so much.
Sara