From: Tom Gray [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 10:38 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: OT: Subject Status; Was, "Covers and Quiz (was:
Discussion)"

I do not know about the rest of the Commonwealth,
however in Canada at least, everyone was a British
subject until a specific Canadian citizenship was set
up in 1947. After that people were both citizens of
the country and subjects of the sovereign until about
1980. At that date the Canadian parliament (which
means the ruling party) removed the British subject
status for all Canadian citizens and replaced it with
the status of 'citizen of the Commonwealth.'

No one has any idea what 'citizen of the Commonwealth'
means or  cares in any way. I doubt if one Canadian in
ten thousand knows that he/she has this status.

Being a British subject was presumably a
multi-national precursor to a world citizenship before
that idea became fashionable. Losing that status has
made Canadian citizenship more parochial.