Growing up in a relatively poor neightbourhood in the
1950s, steak was a very rare item. I do not remember
having steak before my teenage years with the rise in
the standard of living. There were people much poorer
than us who did have outdoor privies.

I can recall that it was unusual for industrial
workers to have automobiles back then. People could
just not afford them. People would borrow cars or
trucks when they needed them. I can recall the unique
thrill of being taken with my cousins for a take-out
hamburger. This was from a bar and grill which served
them. There were no fast food places. Such delicacies
were unknown.

The idea that steak would be commonly available in
poor neightbourhoods around 1910 seems very doubtful
to me.