--- Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Your question is immensely refreshing.  I referred
> to the "broad
> acceptance" of the "we" because it was simply not
> asked for about eight
> or nine decades.  But it is fundamental:  as you
> make clear, there is no
> referent and no way to establish one.

The polite sue of 'we' should also be considered as in
'As we can see,'. To me this is just a polite way of
including the reader in the discussion. In my student
days, I ofter heard lecturers using the phrase 'As we
found last day'.  The 'As we can see' and "As we
found' were very often hints that the topic was
important and that the student should spend whatever
time needed to understand it. I didn't see anything
pompous in that usage.