It's crucial to a stidy of the Pound/Eliot relationship.
EG:
"... with the disappearance of the idea of Original Sin, with
 the disappearance of the idea of intense moral struggle, the
 human beings presented to us both in poetry and in prose fiction
 to-day, and more patently among the serious writers than in the
 underworld of letters, tend to become less and less real. It is
 in fact in moments or moral and spiritual struggle depending upon
 spiritual sanctions, rather than in those `bewildering minutes'
 in which we are all very much alike, that men and women come
 nearest to being real. If you do away with this struggle, and
 maintain that by tolerance, benevolence, inoffensiveness and a
 redistribution or increase of purchasing power, combined with
 a devotion, on the part of an elite, to Art, the world will be
 as good as anyone could require, then you must expect human be-
 ings to become more and more vaporous. This is exactly what we
 find of the society which Mr. Pound puts in Hell, in his DRAFT
 OF XXX CANTOS."

AFTER STRANGE GODS. London: Faber, 1934: 42.

Also important to see what was on E.'s mind at the time.
Then of course there is always the Jewish reference.