I suppose that 'cheap buy' in this regard is some sort
of term of art. It was in 1914 that Henry Ford
instituted the $5 an eight-hour day pay plan. Other
businesses regarded this as reckless and
revolutionary. The Ford factories would be besieged
daily by crowds looking for such lucrative employment.
The police had to be called repeatedly to disperse
them.

At  $1 or $2 dollars a day, an 18-cent steak would
seem to be dear.

http://skagitpublishing.com/ourcentury/1910-1919.html