Hello birders,

I realize that American Robins are pretty ordinary.  And, within the
last few months the large number of  Robins hanging around central
Missouri has been well documented.  However, if you really like to count
birds, there is there is a very large roost area just north of Columbia.
This roost has been active/used since November.  At times there are a
large numbers of  blackbird species intermixed.

This roost area is in the E 1/2 of section 15, T49 N, R 13 W.  It is
roughly between where Creasy Springs Road ends at Mauller Road on the
east, ONeal Road on the west and Akeman Bridge Road (in section 10) on
the north.  This area is loaded with Cedar tress in scrubby pastures,
and the woods are oak/hickory/maple forest.  The birds leave early in
the morning and each afternoon between about 4:00 and 5:15 birds start
flying in, mostly from the west.  From my hilltop, there are times when
you can not see a portion of the sky without birds.  Best access points
for viewing are:

    *        Akeman Bridge Road at the top of the hill just 3/4 mile
      west of  Wade School Road---look to the south and south west.
    *        Creasy Springs Road .2 mile south of  Mauller Road---look
      to the west
    *        O'Neal Road---3/4 mile south of Akeman Bridge Road---look
      south and south west; this is at a sharp 90 degree turn looking
      south over a large pasture.
    *        On top of my hill:  6800 N O'Neal Road; 1.5 mile south of
      Akeman Bridge Road.  Go up the steep driveway, (which is a little
      icy) around past the house,         up the hill, past the blue
      steel barn, into the pasture.  IF, the ground is frozen, you can
      drive right into the pasture and park and watch the fly over.  If
      the            ground is NOT frozen, or you are not comfortable
      driving in a pasture, park by the blue barn. A black mutt dog may
      bark at you, but she is mostly bluff.

If you have a plat book, the property owners of the area where these
birds are roosting are:
          me.... Glenn Pickett,    Gerrand Mellinger, Steven Watts,
Bruce Maier, James Montgomery, and Jack Rader and a few other small tracts..

Permission is granted to enter my (Glenn Pickett) property.  Permission
to enter other property is NOT granted.  You do not need to talk to
us... just wave your binoculars at the house when you go by.  We're
usually at the house by 4:30.  If you need additional information call
445-1227.

--
Glenn Pickett
Columbia, Missouri 65203