I often have a hawk (buteo) patrolling in the yard, but today got my best look.  In fact, he's in plain view right now, perched above our pond on a large overhanging branch.

The breast is white streaked brown (not rusty). The back is brown, mottled white. There appears to be a faint reddish streak around the shoulder area, and a tiny bit of reddish on the upper breast.  Consulting Sibley's, I tend to think 1st year Red-shouldered, rather than 1st year Red-tailed, because of the faint red tints  -- and, he seems a little smaller than a Red-tailed.

I've heard what sounded like a Red-shouldered call, several times in the yard, but never was able to put it together with a sighting.  It was the repetitive, descending "keeeer", over and over, that I remembered from my tapes.

He's still in the tree now.  Is there any other field mark I could look for to distinguish which hawk it is? Thanks in advance!
Linda Yust, Ladue, St. Louis County