Last night (well, actually, early this morning at 3am) I had a pair of Barred Owls asking that "Who cooks for you?" question back and forth for about 30 seconds!  It was quite distinct, so they must have been close to the back of our house. I thought I'd heard them several nights ago, but it was so fleeting that I couldn't be sure.  This time there was no doubt.

Also had a Pileated, right behind the house hammering on an oak tree, on Saturday. The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and Hermit Thrush remain nearby, also.

Got to bird 2 days near Owensville, in Gasconade County, this weekend, and there were many Purple Finches and Cedar Waxwings gorging themselves on red cedar berries. Still Robins galore, also -- the cedars are an amazing food source.

Linda Yust, Ladue, St. Louis County