Yesterday afternoon (1/06), Doug Willis birded Weston Bend SP (Platte
Co.) and found a number of good birds, including:

Spotted Towhee - 1 (in large cedar tree, less than 1/4 mile into the
bike trail going clockwise from the parking lot)
Brown Thrasher - 1 (with the towhee)
Ruby & Golden-crowned Kinglets
Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers
Fox Sparrow

I followed up on his findings today (1/07) at noon. I walked clockwise
from the bike trail parking lot. Did not see much until I got to the
point where an unpaved path runs in either direction from the bike
trail. In that general area, I found:

Spotted Towhee - 1 female
Brown Thrasher - 1
White-throated Sparrow - numerous
Fox Sparrow - several
Northern Bobwhite - several calling

...and I really hesitate to post this, and it's probably NOT worth
following up on... But as I peeked around a cedar tree, a bird flew
past the tree and over my head. My initial thoughts as I followed it in
flight were "red finch-like bird carrying something in its bill...or
with a strangely shaped bill..." As it disappeared into the trees some
distance away, I realized there is a remote chance that it may have
been a Red Crossbill. I spent about another hour searching the area and
came up empty. There aren't any pines in the immediate area, only
cedars. I didn't hear the bird call. If I did see what I think I may
have seen, though, it might be worth keeping your eyes open if you
happen to be in the area.

Kristi Mayo
Kearney, MO (Clay Co.)