Matt and interested others,
Springfield has had a small breeding population of Mute Swans for many
years (over 10 years...., and over 10 birds).   The true native birders
could tell you how long they have been around.   I believe the population
started in the lakes of the Southern Hills subdivision off of Lone Pine in
east Springfield.   Since then they have been reported on Springfield lake
and other locations in and around Springfield.  It is always a topic on CBC
census day, as members of the group count them, but know that they won't be
recognized when we send in the official count.  Although it is a breeding
population, it is debatable whether they would survive without human
intervention.
Out of curiosity, what is the current status of other  populations of Mute
Swans in North America?

Happy New Birding Year,
Greg Swick
Ozark, Missouri

swan in a small "lake" off on the side of the road after you drop down into
the river valley.  Does anybody know if it could have been put there for
decoration like you see on golf courses?  I thought that would be a little
weird but the road is new and maybe they wanted it to look nice???.  And if
not do you all think it is a local escape or a bird from the great lakes
area?? just something to think about!