My dad and I found an adult female Merlin in a tree near 6635 Portage Rd. in
St. Charles county (near Portage des Sioux) around 3:30 this afternoon.
When we stopped the car, it flew to a nearby power pole where we got a very
good look at it.  The bird appeared to be an adult female richardsonii
Merlin.  After letting us view it for several minutes at close range, it
headed straight NW low over the ground for 500 yards or so before we lost
it.
Alex Meilleur