CALL FOR PAPERS: Modern and Postmodern Artistic Avant-Gardes

INSCRIPTIONS '04: an arts and culture conference and festival
at Eastern Mediterranean University
in Famagusta, on the island of Cyprus
June 3rd- 4th, 2004
see www.emu.edu.tr/elh/index_conference.html for further details.

The seventh annual Literature and Humanities Conference will be held at
Eastern Mediterranean University as part of Inscriptions '04, an Arts and
Culture festival taking place at the university and environs between
June 3rd - 4th, 2004.  In conjunction with a wide selection of music,
performance and film events, discussion- friendly papers are being solicited
for our symposium.  Although we will be publishing selected presentations
from Inscriptions '04, we encourage participants to move away from the
standard prewritten, "finished paper" format, towards a more open-ended
presentation, which will provoke and contribute to a genuine exchange of
research and ideas during the panel sessions. Our aim is to create a forum
and publishing venue for inspiring work in progress, where the exchange of
ideas with fellow academics participating in the conference will contribute
to the final form of participants' work.

With this in mind, we invite papers and/or presentations that examine,
elucidate and/or challenge the notion of modern and postmodern artistic
avant-gardes. Possible topics might include but are not limited to:

-           the avant-garde in exhibition
-           the avant-garde: a Modernist Myth?
-            "Avant/Après:" temporality in the postmodern moment.
-           the 'future' of the term "avant-garde" in an era of narrative
amelioration
-           gender strategies in postmodern narrative
-           Foucault, AIDS and 'the death of the author'
-           Modernist memory and textual recall
-           negotiating postmodern praxis
-           real to reel: race, sex and class in avant-garde cinema
-           multi-cultural identities as represented by the contemporary
avant-garde
-           Adorno, Lyotard, Baudrillard, Jameson: who writes the
contemporary avant-garde, critical canon?
-           Jameson vs. Lyotard: the role of history in formulating a
modern/postmodern axis
-           Baudelaire and the birth of the modern avant-garde
-           Joyce, Beckett, Kafka: the last modernists or first
postmodernists?
-           Hitchcock and Bowie: the genesis of avant-garde cinema and music
-           Pynchon, Auster, Palahniuk: postmodern American narratives
-           Buckminster Fuller: the missing link?
-           movements: Surrealism, Bauhaus, Dada, Bloomsbury, Situationists,
Cubism.
-           the tension between the notion of  avant-garde as creative
practice and the critical concept of "the avant-garde" as
             a movement.
-           Anglo-American/French-European avant-garde cultures
-           gender and the avant-garde
-           avant-garde commentary, including Peter Bürger, Raymond
Williams, Renato Poggioli
-           ascending-descending, Heaven-Hell: whither Paul Klee's "Angelus
Novus?"
-           gaming? or the current state of 'Derridean Play?'
-           Adorno, Brecht, Lukacs, Benjamin and after After the Great
Divide

Papers are also welcomed on individual modernist/postmodernist artists.
Suggestions:

Rimbaud
Mallarmé
Lautréamont
Joyce
Céline
Robbe-Grillet
Celan
Bill Viola
Tracey Emin
Damien Hirst
Marina Abramovic
Robert Mapplethorpe
Philip Glass
Pierre Boulez
Lauri Anderson

Please send 250 word abstracts by 31st January, 2004 to:
 or
and please visit  http://www.emu.edu.tr/elh/index_conference.html for more
information.