This afternoon I was visiting with Mike Warnock about a bird sighting. Mike countered with his own tale. Our experiences follow.

1. While I was walking across the Boone Health Center (formerly Boone County Hospital) parking lot at daybreak this morning I had a bird fly-over. Poor lighting made this silhouette birding but I was struck by the robust size of the body of the bird, the long tail, the large size of the bird, the slow & powerful wingbeats that rapidly took it out of sight into the tree line to the south and the lightness of the belly ... it left me shaking my head, going Northern Goshawk??? I know that there is a Cooper's Hawk, (probable) female, in this part of town but the size of the bird this morning just seemed larger than the Cooper's Hawk and the rhythm of the wingbeats seemed different.

2. Mike said that Sunday morning as he was driving to IL he had a fly-over bird near Center, MO. His reaction was like mine. Hmmm .... He regularly sees a Cooper's Hawk at Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area; this bird was too large to be a Cooper's. He, too, thought what could it be but a Northern Goshawk?

Obviously neither of us had decent sightings but if you believe in a couple of experienced birders reading of jizz from fly-by birds there might be a movement of Northern Goshawks into MO. Keep your eyes open!

Susan
Susan Hazelwood
Columbia, Boone County, Missouri