I did a late morning drive through Squaw Creek Refuge today to try for the
Trumpeter Swan. I did see three of them one with a red neck collar and two
untagged. I also saw one light phase Rough-legged Hawk. The Snow Geese were mostly
absent from the refuge, I only saw 20 of them. Hundreds of Mallards were in
evidence with a smattering of Northern Pintail, Northern Shovelers, Gadwall and
American Wigeon. Even without the Snow Geese the Bald Eagles were still there
in force. Almost every other muskrat mound had an eagle perched on it. And
they were cavorting in the sky above.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County