To add to Charlene's Scoter-ful day YESTERDAY.

I observed 3-WHITE WINGED SCOTERS together this
morning (12/5), about 50 yards in Ellis Bay across
from Heron Pond.  Birds later took flight and landed
in the channel further out...

Also, when I first arrived (~7) there were A LOT of
waterfowl...a 1/2 hour later there was hardly anything
in Ellis Bay.  Birds must be on the move today.

Josh Uffman
St. Louis County, MO

--- Charlene and Jim Malone <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> From reading Torry's msg, I obviously went the wrong
> way and of course, didn't check my msgs until
> late....!#$?*&
> BUT I did find other birds of interest.
>
> Creve Coeur Lake, St. Louis co
> 3 sleeping SCOTERS - all the same size and by the
> markings and shape of head, SURF or maybe W-W. They
> would not un-tuck and would not reveal themselves,
> plus I had limited time.
> BLACK DUCK
> REDHEAD
> Canvasback, many Red-breasted mergs, Horned grebes
> and many more waterfowl with R-B, Herring and
> Bonaparte gulls interspersed.
>
> Riverlands EDA, St Charles co. (3 PM until sunset)
> 3 SCOTERS - one BLACK (female or imm) and 2 SURF
> 54 Trumpeter swans
> Duck numbers are increasing in Heron pond and Ellis
> Bay.
> Lot more Red-breasted mergs.
> Gull roost did not produce the individual bird we
> saw on Sat (J & J's CA gull)
> Viewing was difficult due to diminished light with
> some fog and drizzle.
> Evening is better though because of the number of
> birds that come in.
>
> Good birding,
> Charlene Malone
> St. Louis co.