This is from the Indiana list serve.....I found it
interesting and thought those on MoBirds would also:

For those searching for WW Crossbills I offer the
benefit of my very limited experience with them. Look
for a grove of spruces and hemlocks that have a lot of
cones. It is better if the spruces have a lot of cones
at the top. I used this information when I searched
for them four years ago and was lucky enough to find a
flock in Crawfordsville at Oak Hill Cemetery. At that
time I asked IN-bird for information on feeding times
so that I could locate them on a regular basis. Since
no one replied I assume it is not general knowledge,
so I will pass on what I learned then. My experience
was that they started feeding at sunrise and it was as
regular as clockwork. First the Crows and then the
Crossbills. The only other time of day I found them
regularly was between 2:50 and 3:30 pm. In the 13
consecutive days in December that I was able to find
them I never found them later than 3:35 pm. Of course
they do feed at other times during the day, but
December is not the time when I like to hang around
all day outside. I once found them feeding at 10 am.
When they weren't feeding they were impossible to
locate as they don't perch in the open. My usual
technique was to stand in an unobstructed viewing area
and listen for their chatter when they flew in.

=====
Joshua Uffman
St. Louis County, MO

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now