Bird banding is not something you want to commence as a casual hobby. It is
a scientific endeavor as practiced today. Banding licenses are of two
types: subpermit under a master permit holder, and master permit. You can
do the former by finding a master permit holder and banding under his/her
guidance. Master permittees are licensed only with experience, an
application, references, and a valid reason to hold a permit. You have to
have a research project or purpose in mind and solidly justify it to get
the master permit (and just banding birds for the heck of it is not a good
reason to get a permit). I might also add that the record-keeping is a
major pain, which has not been made that much easier by computerization (in
my opinion).

My suggestion to you both is to find a master permittee and see what bird
banding is all about before you embark on such an undertaking.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau