In a message dated 12/2/03 2:32:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

On November 19th, I listened to Garrison Keillor interviewing Lawrence
Ferlinghetti on NPR's City Arts and Lectures program. At the end of the
interview, Ferlinghetti's advice to young poets was to "remember that the
poet must be in opposition to the State."
To be in opposition to the Government just for the sake of being in opposition to the Government and is absurd, though some of members of this List certainly take that point of view.  So, when FDR created the social security program, when JFK created the peace corps program, Ferlinghetti would have been writing poetry to reflect his opposition and displeasure, I suppose.