am 14.12.2003 21:32 Uhr schrieb [log in to unmask]  unter [log in to unmask]:

8 Mute Minimal Designs

Where is the twisted human torso?
Where are the flames?  Where is the smoke?
What crossed fingers still dangle below
These calm subterranean spaces?

Should we not, here and now, make known the
Inexplicable agony?  Who among these
Names leaped to their deaths?  Who did not
Have a chance to leap, scorched, crushed?

Placid well-lit puddles of piddling light
Confine the defiant.  Monuments,
Intended to mourn, feign empathy and

Experience.  Serene Ground Zero.
Is this the scene searched in vain for remains?
Each age has the art that it deserves.

Dear Eugene,

thank you for a thoughtful poem with an often heard last line (usually attributed to architecture), reflecting a certain cultural pessimism and a backward look to the times when, apparently everything was better. Was it really?

A year ago, I went to see the architectural projects for re-building Ground Zero  displayed in the Winter Garden in Battery Park. Not many of them convinced me, but perhaps the time of the disaster was all too close, the site too burdened with painful memories and the hubris to re-build even higher and more monumental too obvious.

Have you seen the eight chosen projects for the 9-11 memorial currently on exhibit there? I wonder what you think of them. All I know about them is the fact that the competition among the over 5000 submissions had an excellent jury, headed by Ms Maya Lin, who, as an undergraduate architecture student, won the Vietnam Veterans Memorial competition in Washington DC. The latter is definitely the most moving memorial I have ever seen, so I trust her judgement. Another member of the jury was James E. Young, involved in the city of Berlin's choice of Peter Eisenman to design the stark Holocaust memorial. One cannot imagine a group with better artistic credentials.

What , then, would be the art (or architecture) that our time deserves? Who am I to say whether  a time centered on money and greed, based on materialism,  is able to produce a similar artistic quality as the Middle Ages?

What did TSE had to say about this question?

"(...) And what there is to conquer
By strength and submission, has already been discovered
Once or twice, or several times, by men one cannot hope to emulate
But there is no competition
There is only the fight to recover what has been lost
And found and lost again: and now, under conditions
That seem unpropitious."

Unpropitious indeed!

Perhaps some more erudite list members may contribute on the topic.

Curious:

Gunnar