am 30.12.2003 15:16 Uhr schrieb Ken Armstrong unter [log in to unmask]:

> Hello, Rick,
>
> Thought this might be of interest to you, a 1948 letter from McLuhan to
> Pound with remarks on the ideogram:
>
> http://www.gingkopress.com/_cata/_mclu/_pound.htm
>
> Best,
> Ken

> McLuhan wrote:

>(...)The American mind is not even close to being amenable to the ideogram
principle as yet. The reason is simply this. America is 100% 18th Century.
The 18th century had chucked out the principle of metaphor and analogy  the
basic fact that as A is to B so is C to D. AB:CD. It can see AB relations.
But relations in four terms are still verboten. This amounts to deep
occultation of nearly all human thought for the U.S.A.

> I am trying to devise a way of stating this difficulty as it exists. Until
stated and publicly recognized for what it is, poetry and the arts can't
exist in America. Mere exposure to the arts does nothing for a mentality
which is incorrigibly dialectical. The vital tensions and nutritive action
of ideogram remain inaccessible to this state of mind.(...)

Thanks for an interesting letter, dear Ken,

It seems M.McL had a dire view of "the American mind" -- whatever that
means!

Happy New Year:

Gunnar