Date sent:              Wed, 10 Dec 2003 06:57:13 -0800
From:                   Vishvesh Obla <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                (OT)A Scandalous 'psycho analysis' of India's Cultural Past : A case
                study
To:                     [log in to unmask]

There is a book on Lord Ganesha, a Hindu Deity, by
Paul B.Courtright (titled Ganesa: Lord of Obstacles,
Lord of Beginnings), which has made a scandalous
representation of the much-adored Indian Deity in the
name of psycho-analysis.  A good friend of mine by
name ‘Kalavai Venkat’ (along with another writer,
named Vishal Agarwal) has given a fitting reply to it
with factual references and a conceptual grasp of the
Indian past.  The review titled ‘When The Cigar
Becomes a Phallus’ is found at

http://www.sulekha.com/expressions/articledesc.asp?cid=307042

Earlier it was the likes of Catherine Mayos and
William Archers who reveled in such
mis-representations of India.  Even when you
identified the journalists in them, they still seemed
to have had a motive : to justify the imperialistic
ambitions of the British Empire.  But the likes of
Wendy Donigers and her lineage of psycho analytical
critics seem to have a different motive : to disparage
deliberately a cultural phenomena for motives that are
disturbing when comprehended.  One wonders if this is
what criticism of a specific nature is capable of and
if this is what the American Academia is enamored
with?  To make a generalized statement based on the
work of a few critics may not be proper, but seeing
the reputation Wendy Doniger and her ‘disciples’ enjoy
in the Western studies of Indology, it cannot but make
one wonder so.

I know that this list consists of a quite a few
Academicians from American universities, and I would
appreciate if any one can comment on it.

Thank You.

vishvesh