Richard Seddon wrote:

> I can't find it quickly in my notes but Ford Madox Ford, one of the original
> Imagists, remarked (I paraphrase) that he never understood exactly what
> Pound was talking about when he (Pound) was railing on and on in a very loud
> voice about the Image.

I think it is at least worth consideration to view the criticism of
Pound & Eliot as of little use except as a gloss on their poetry.
Northrop Frye suggested Wordsworth's Preface to Lyrical Ballads was at
best a B+ as a critical essay. The same goes for Pound & Eliot. (Pound
did have an extraordinary talent for recognizing significant young
writers -- he was an exception to his own line, "And no one knows a
sight a masterpiece.") The concepts of the "objective correlative,"
"dissociation of sensibility," "The Image," and "The Ideogram" are all
equally opaque -- blank checks, as it were, for the reader to fill in as
she pleases. For a really penetrating observation on poetry by a major
poet there is nothing to match

        Some, to whom Heav'n in Wit has been profuse,
        Want as much more, to turn it to its use. . . .

Thousands of pages of struggle to explain Decorum squeezed into 19
words, 20 syllables.

Carrol

Great Moments in Criticism:

        I'd tell you that same pungency ensures
        An after-gust -- but that were overbold:
        Who would has heard Sordello's story told.

:-)