In a message dated 12/2/03 7:19:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:
And at the present time, when the u.s. has declared war on the world,
u.s. poets may well have an additional motive to oppose their state.
Carrol, is it that America has declared war or the world or has the world
declared war on America?  Most Americans believe the latter to be true, as do I.
And to be more accurate and reasonable, we are talking about not all of the
world . . . a part of the world, to be sure.  I noted that the only modernist
that you had on your list of poets who opposed Government was Pound, and indeed
he did oppose government, at least the American Government.  He continually
called Roosevelt a criminal while praising Hitler and the Nazi Government.
Pound was very fortunate in life, in that when he was young, he made the
friendship of many other influential poets and writers, including Hemingway and
MacLeish, who were instrumental in finally getting him released from the loony bin.
And both Hemingway and MacLeish only acted because he was old and they felt
sorry for him.  They both felt that he was truly insane.  Speaking of MacLeish
and Mrs. Browning, I believe that he states the current state of world affairs
very well in his poem "Colloquy Between The States."

There's talk, says Illinois
    Is there, says Iowa.
There's talk on the east wind, says Illinois.
Talk about why?  says Dakota, says Kansas, says Arkansas.
Can't make out:  too far east, says Michigan.
East of the roosters, says Indiana,
East of the Morning crow, says Ohio.
East, says York State.
East still, says Connecticut.
It's down east from here, says Massachusetts.
It's east of the quoddy, says Maine, but I hear it.
Hear what? says Texas
What can you hear? says Virginia.
Can't be sure, Says Mine.  Surf on the reefs.
      Ice pounding away on the pans in Penobscot.
. . . ... . . .
Listen, says Mississippi
. . . .
It's mean talk, says Maine.  It's mouthy meaning. Mean about us.
I gather they don't like us, says Maine.
Tell! says Connecticut.
. . . ..

As for the Major Modernist Poet, Stevens, he never wrote about government;
his poetry was so above all of that . . .

Regards,

Kate