Peter Montgomery wrote:

> Ah well. Maybe I shouldn't have read so much Wyndham Lewis.

Very possibly. Someone I was reading years ago referred to Wyndham Lewis
as occupying a machine-gun nest in no-man's land, firing at everyone.
(It was put more pithily than that; I don't remember the exact words.)

> I think a lot of what happens is just people being
> narcissistic about their own text, as if it were
> glowing out for the whole universe to admire

I react very negatively to all posts (on this and other lists) which
focus on the (alleged) motives of others. Such posters implicitly claim
to have powers of mental telepathy. I doubt that you have that power.

Put otherwise, ascription of motive usually comes off as inverted
sentimentality.

Carrol