Sara

"Inhumanism" was Robinson Jeffers' reaction to "Humanism".   It was more a
reactionary philosophy than a coherent philosophical system of its own.

"Humanism" tends to define everything in terms of man and its significance
to man.  Jeffers rejected this self centered view of the universe.

"Science"

Man, introverted man, having crossed
In passage and but a little with the nature of things

this
          latter century
Has begot giants ; but being taken up
Like a maniac with self-love and inward conflicts

can-
not manage his hybrids.

First 6 lines of a poem by Robinson Jeffers
(*this* and *can-* belong to the preceding line)

One of my favorite poems by Jeffers is "Rock and Hawk"

I find Jeffers very emotional reading.  I am not sure whether he intended
it, but,  I hurt for all the animals, the dead housedog, the abused
stallion, the hurt hawk, the dead sheep who followed an insane shepherdess
to their death.   Jeffers found no pity in nature and many of his poems seem
to exploit human pity as sort of an object lesson in how far man is from
nature.

When you visit the library check on

Arthur B Coffin, "Robinson Jeffers; Poet of Inhumanism"
Mercedes Cunningham Monjian, "Robinson Jeffers, A Study in Inhumanism"
Radcliffe Squires, "The Loyalties of Robinson Jeffers"

A book of very useful essays on Jeffers not specifically related to
"Inhumanism"

"Robinson Jeffers: Dimensions of a Poet" edited by Robert Brophy

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM