Date sent:              Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:56:49 -0800
From:                   Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Poets on poetry
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Come now Nancy. Read my remark carefully.
I said nothing about her per se. I told her
what her dismissiveness looked like. To dismiss
a whole body of work off hand, when the author took
it very seriously, is not the perspicacity of
a well trained critic. It demeans the other comments
of intelligence which she has made. That demeaning
thereby makes the dismissiveness look even worse.
If that body of work deserves to be dismissed then
reasons must be given, especially when it is the
work of a writer such as Eliot.

Frankly, I think she was just doing a bit of chain yanking
of her own. I didn't take the remark seriously.

How would you characterise her dismissiveness?

Peter