If you think they did not "pick on dead poets" you need to read
them.  It does not look as if you know what they did write.  An entire
chapter of VINDICATION OF THE RIGHTS OF WOMAN is entitled
"Animadversions on Some of the Writers Who Have Rendered
Women Objects of Pity, Bordering on Contempt."  It's pretty
blistering; it's true they weren't all dead.

On Rousseau:  "Rousseau's observations, it is proper to remark,
were made in a country where the art of pleasing was refined only to
extract the grosseness of vice.  He did not go back to nature, or his
ruling appetite disturbed the operations of reason, else he would not
have drawn these crude inferences. . . .   The pernicious tendency
of these books, in which the writers insidiously degrade the sex
whilst they are prostrate before their personal charms, cannot be
too often or too severely exposed."

She doesn't stick to being anti-French:  "Taking a view of the
different works which have been written on education, Lord
Chesterfield's Letters must not be silently passed over.  Not that I
mean to analyze his unmanly, immoral system, or even to cull any
of the useful, shrewd remarks which occur in his epistles. . . ."

She's pretty prone to general condemnation also:  "For I will venture
to assert, that all the causes of female weakness, as well as
depravity, which I have already enlarged on, branch out of one grand
cause--want of chastity in men."

Ah!  that wonderful rising above.

But Woolf, so properly respectful.  On Eliot:

"Again, with the obscurity of Mr. Eliot.  I think that Mr. Eliot has
written some of the loveliest single lines in modern poetry.  But how
intolerant he is of the old usages and politenesses of society--
respect for the weak, consideration for the dull!  As I sun myself
upon th intense and ravishing beauty of one of his lines, and reflect
that I must make a dizzy and dangerous leap to the next, and so on
from line to line, like an acrobat flying precariously from bar to bar, I
cry out, I confess, for the old decorums. . . .  For these reasons,
then, we must reconcile ourselves to a season of failures and
fragments.  We must reflect that where so much strength is spent
on finding a way of telling the truth, the truth itself is bound to reach
us in rather an exhausted and chaotic condition.  Ulysses, Queen
Victoria, Mr. Prufrock--to give Mrs. Brown some of the names she
has made famous lately--is a little pale and dishevelled  by the time
her rescuers reach her."

And of course there is that very angry professor and the perpetual
"I" in male books and the fate of Shakespeare's sister--all testament
to how far above anger or petty critique she was.

But that claim, as it happens, is simply untrue.  They were both
committed feminists at times when women were excluded from
what meant most to them--education, the Cambridge library.  The
were angry and quite clear about it.
Nancy