At 12:07 PM 12/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:

>Eliot was so often pronouncing from on high that he may not have
>noticed that expression is altered all the time by non-genius.

   Nancy,

  I think if you get your animus for Eliot behind bars, you'll agree that
the above is at best a pretty weak proposition.

>   It is
>being altered now by advertising and computer, though I can't say I
>like the changes, and it is certainly not driven by genius (nor by "a
>man" only).

   I haven't tried to track down the quote, but I wonder if TSE might have
been referring to artistic expression?  If I quote my old thesis subject
Katherine Anne Porter and she used, fifty years ago, a phrase like "man of
genius" or the pronoun "he" for "the artist," is it important that at each
eruption of the way we were I point out that that isn't the way we need to
be? Would I be giving the false impression that KAP was particularly prone
to that "mistake."

Ken Armstrong