From: Richard Seddon
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: 12/30/03 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: Ideosocratic McLuhanistics

Peter wrote in part:
He also chose not to join the imagist movement.

Peter

I assume that you mean that Pound did not continue with the Imagist
movement
after that school was taken over by Amy Lowell.  He referred to the
imagism
of Amy Lowell as Amygism.  Amy, like McLuhan had missed the point of
Imagism
(big I) and thought it was about colorful metaphoric depictions of
things.
Pound once remarked that the Image is not a thing.

Pound Imagism (big I) became Vorticism which is basically the original
Imagism expanded to include arts other than poetry and, in the case of
poetry, more dynamic charged language.  "The Game of Chess" is usually
cited
as probably Pound's program poem for Vorticism.

For a short but eminently authoritative discussion of Imagism (big I)
and
Vorticism see Hugh Witemeyer's "The Poetry of Ezra Pound: Forms and
Renewal
1908-1920".

Witemeyer discusses Imagism (big I) on page 32-36 and Vorticism on page
36-39.  The Ideogramic method is discussed 39-41.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM