At 02:25 PM 12/5/2003 -0500, TAK wrote:

>Rather, he seems to believe either: (i) that there is no "key" presently
>available (if "available" means being accessible merely by adhering to
>some pattern or form established by others), or (ii) the key is available
>to everyone but, for the most part, one person's key will not work for
>another, and must be discovered through communion with the experience of
>being alive.

   Tom -

  If the latter (ii) is true, how do we even discuss it? Nevertheless,
something like it is what Eliot proposes in his dissertation: that the
truths that are true are private.

>Put a little differently, he appears to be more of a modified Nietzschean,
>advocating that the way to find the "key" is purely individual (although,
>unlike Nietzsche, he seems to allow that, for some, that "individual" way
>may involve choosing a traditional, perhaps traditionally religious, path.)

   "A modified Nietzschean" - now there is something to try and get your
head around. Eliot, too, while he proposed the matter of private truths
also espoused the catholic (or Catholic, I can't remember whether he
capitalized it; not, I think) over the material (there are finally only two
views of the world tenable, the catholic and material, etc). Another
instance of tradition and the individual talent?

Ken A.