From: Rickard A. Parker [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 8:15 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Poets on poetry

Richard Seddon wrote:

> It seems to me that reason and superstition do not dwell well together
> and that poetry has always been an excellent vehicle for
> superstition/myth/faith and not a good vehicle at all for reason.

The conclusion of Eliot's address "On Poetry" (1947):

    Science should teach us to know when a theorem is proved, when a
    fact is demonstrated, when a chain of reasoning holds together.
    Poetry should teach us to understand the ways of expressing emotions
    and feelings in words. So it seems to me that poetry as well as
    science -- poetry because I believe it can help us to distinguish
    an appeal to our reason from an appeal to our emotions -- is important
    for the formation of good citizens.
                                            T.S. Eliot