Jerri Davis and I saw a red-shafted flicker (brown head with no red nape, red mustache and red wing linings) on September 26, 2003 at Cooley Lake.

Last fall, a red-shafted stayed several days a few blocks from where I live (Kearney). And I have seen one in my yard one year, (but that one was a hybrid with a mixture of features.) I have observed the red wing linings of flickers in Missouri a number of different years, but didn't always get a study of the head.

Jo Ann Eldridge, Kearney, Clay Co.