I was alone when I saw the Pacific Loon. The loon was observed from the
vantage point below the Litton Center. It was present at the same time the
Western Grebe was. It was located ~halfway between the beach front at the
Litton Center and the beach front across the lake. The bird was diving for
EXTENDED periods and would pop up at a point that would be out of the scope
view if one was setting still on the location it dived.

It was hunting fish both directions. One dive it would appear to the left of
the diving location. The next dive might bring the bird up in the opposite
direction.

Sunlight was behind me, mostly clear skies, little to no wind at the bottom
of the Litton center hill. The loon was much paler and smaller than the
loons with which it was associating. The color pattern on the neck was clean
and distinct. A clean edge (without marring or blurring or rough edges)
between the white and the black.

I located Bob and Gary after I sighted the bird. They were up by the dam. I
moved to their location and they did have a couple loons in their scopes,
but the distance from this point was too great to make a definitive call. We
tried to move closer to the loons' location, but portions of the area are
closed for a "managed goosehunt". The best we could do was to get to the
Crows Creek picnic area. This wasn't the same area (beach front) that I had
observed the loon. No Pacific Loon was present at this location.

I suspect one will have to walk from this location over a large ridge to the
next viewing point that will be along the targeted beach...

Let me know if I have completely confused anyone!!!

Patrick