Intrigued by Anne's report of the Red-necked Grebe and Edge's report of the
"history" of Thomas Hill Reservoir, I returned to Thomas Hill Reservoir this
afternoon. I must say that in the 10 years I have lived within 45 minutes of
the reservoir, I have only birded the "south end" less than 20 times.
Yesterday's experience told me that I needed to bird more of the south end
and today I am very glad I did.

To my utter amazement, I observed six Common Loons, one Sandhill Crane, one
Red-necked Grebe and one RED-THROATED LOON from the campground access on the
east side of the lake. (Same location from which the two Sandhill Cranes
were observed yesterday). Observed at 4:10 p.m. ALL of these birds (except
the Sandhill Crane) were approximately 1/3 the distance toward the point
where the two Sandhills were yesterday. The Crane was on the same point as
yestersday. Conditions were bad, light to steady rain with complete cloud
cover, however the relative nearness of all the species provided more than
enough comparison to confidently ID these birds.

The Red-necked Grebe (if it is the same bird) must be "close friends" with
the Common Loons as it was seen with three yesterday and six today.

The two locations of the Red-necked Grebe are nearly opposite one another on
the lake. Birders interested in seeing any of these species should plan to
visit both locations. I don't believe either location can be seen from the
other, so if birds are not present at one, it would be advisable to go to
the other. The distance between the two is probably greater than the range
of FRS Radios, but if two groups go to Thomas Hill, it might even be
advisable to hit both locations simultaneously and use FRS or Cell phones to
communicate with one another. (US Cellular coverage around the lake is bad
to non-existent.)

I will be continuing to bird the south end and north end of the lake
regularly. Seems that I am closer to the lake than most other reporting
birders and as such, will try to adopt it much the same as Tommie Rogers has
Squaw Creek.

Patrick...

Drooling over the Little Gull and the Pacific Loon...
HMMMMmmmmmm.....  Road trip in the a.m.????

  _____

Patrick Harrison
Editor, The Bluebird
Webmaster, www.mobirds.org