Today's great sightings at Thomas Hill Reservoir, Randolph and Macon
Counties, and comments on past sightings led me to review some of the
most notable records.

 From Robbins and Easterla, BIRDS OF MISSOURI:

Red Phalarope
7 Sep 86 Barksdale, et al.  (state earliest date)
15 to 26 Oct 78, Rathert, et al. (state latest date)

Red-throated Loon
21 Oct to 2 Dec 90 Barksdale, McKenzie, et al. (state latest date)

 From my records:

Red-throated Loon
7 Dec 97 S. Hazelwood, Goodge, Graebner, Wade (later than previous
record)

White-winged Scoter
4 Nov 00 CAS field trip, all participants saw

Northern Shrike
27 Oct 00 Wade (scouting for CAS trip, returned with Leonatti, Goodge,
Gaston 6 hrs. later)

Black-legged Kittiwake (adult)
22 Nov 98  Wade, Elbert, Graebner, Heidy, Leonatti, Kubal, B. Duncan

A couple of things strike my eye.  First, all these (and today's
sightings) fall within a 3 month period.  We've learned that despite
Thomas Hill's frigid wind, it can be a hot place in the late fall.

Less obvious is the presence of Bill Goodge at, I think, all but one
(the kittiwake) of these sightings (both my records and Robbins &
Easterla).

I learned to bird Thomas Hill by following Bill and Jim Wallace, and of
course, Ike Adams.  What a debt we owe to birder/teachers!

I'm sure there are other remarkable records from Thomas Hill.  Care to
share them?

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO