Charelene Malone asks of the Pacifc Loon at Smithville today:

 Please clarify for me on the PACIFIC LOON.  Only Patrick saw this bird or
did others see this bird as well?

Gary Johnson E-mailed me that he stayed around and saw both the Pacific and
the  Red-throated Loon after I left. Peter Kondrashov was coming down. I
believe Gary told me on the phone that he saw the birds as well, but I  am
not sure I remember the details of the phone call that well. I saw the
Red-throated Loon yesterday, nut did not see the Pacific Loon today.

I suspect that the Pacific is a new bird from the two that I saw Sunday. The
Red-throated Loon is definitely a different bird from the one found by
Kristi Mayo Monday and seen by several others Monday. (That one was still
partly in alternate plumage. The one I saw yesterday was completely in basic
plumage, as was the one seen today -- evidently the same  bird).

I'm scoring the good birds at Smithville as follows:

11/1 -- 1 Pacific or Red-throated Loon seen in very dark lighting. (RF)
11/2  -- 2-3 Pacific Loons. (2 seen well. Three apparent Pacific Loons later
seen at dusk that were smaller than nearby Common Loons, but it was too dark
to call them Pacific Loons with certainty). (RF)
11/2 -- 1 Red-throated Loon still partly in breeding plumage. (KM et al.)
11/6 -- 1 Red-throated Loon in basic plumage. (RF)
11/6 -- 1 Western Grebe (KM)
11/6 -- 1 Long-tailed Duck. (KM)
11/7 -- 1 Western Grebe seen by many.
11/7 -- 1 Pacific Loon seen by PH, GJ (and maybe PK).
11/7 -- 1 Red-throated Loon in basic plumage seen by GJ (and maybe PK).

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri