Visiting Lake Contrary and Mud Lade this morning, I recorded 60+ species of
birds. There were many Ring-billed and Bonaparte's Gulls and a few Franklin's.
I studied them for a good while and could not turn up any other gull types. I
was hoping to get a Little Gull or a Black-headed, but it was not to be. A
pair of Common Goldeneyes was the first for me this fall. Lots of ducks (14
species) on both lakes which did not seem to be bothered too much by the hunters
which were also on both lakes. One Horned Grebe was also seen. On Mud Lake a
Great Blue Heron and a Great Egret were enjoying each others company. This was a
late date for the egret for me. Sparrows in the vicinity were: Song, Harris's,
White-crowned, American Tree, Fox, Swamp, Vesper, Savannah and Dark-eyed
Junco. There were many Dunlin, a few Greater Yellowlegs, one Lesser Yellowlegs,
Wilson's Snipe and one American Golden Plover. One lone American White Pelican
was still on Mud Lake. A Northern Mockingbird was noticed perched on the top of
a house in the Lake Contrary region.

*Note: Harris's Sparrows seem to be everywhere this year!

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County